Healthy Chickpeas Dinner
Rice with Chickpeas is a traditional Italian Mediterranean one-pot meal. It’s an EASY, filling, and nutritious meal a light creamy sauce that is packed with flavor for a great tasting one-pot dinner. Of course, you can add any vegetable of choice to this EASY Mediterranean meal. With the addition of chickpeas, this dish is very inexpensive and substantial comfort food made mostly of pantry and kitchen staples. Which also makes it a great last-minute meal. Rice and Chickpea EASY meal is also perfect for VEGANS looking for a nutritious and protein-packed meal.
One-Pot Spinach Rice with Chickpeas | Plant-Based | Easy One-Pot Vegan Recipes
Serves 4 – 6
2 Tablespoon Olive Oil, optional
1 Onion, diced
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 cup Carrots, cut on the bias
1 cup Celery, cut on the bias
1 cup Brown Rice, uncooked
1 ½ cup Strained tomatoes or Passata
4 cups Broth or Water, if using water add more seasonings of choice
1 – 15 oz Can Chickpeas, cooked
1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes, Optional
Salt and Pepper to taste
8 oz Fresh Spinach
¼ cup Parsley, finely chopped
Juice of a Lemon, to taste
Drizzle of Olive oil
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil, onions, and garlic. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add carrots and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice and cook for a few minutes to toast the rice.
- Add tomato sauce and broth. Cover and occasionally stir until rice is cooked. (White Rice will take about 20 minutes and Brown Rice about 50 minutes.)
- Add chickpeas, red pepper, salt, pepper, and spinach. Stir until the spinach is all cooked down.
- When ready to serve, garnish with parsley, lemon wedge, and olive oil.