Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
I know there are a million variations of chicken soup and everyone’s grandma makes the best. I get it. I want to share my recipe because not only is it perfect for this time of year but I don’t think people realize how easy it really is to make. Classic homemade chicken noodle soup is the ultimate comfort food. This soup is loaded with healthy goodness from the vegetables. You are going to want to grab your blanket and cozy up with a bowl of this on the couch.
Serves 4 – 6
2 Chicken breasts or 4 thighs, bone and skin on
2 tablespoons Olive Oil, if needed
1 onion finely diced
1 cup carrots or about 2-3 carrots
1 cup celery or about 2-3 ribs
1 tablespoon garlic, minced (let sit out for the allicin to develop)
1 tablespoon ginger, fresh ground, optional (reduce inflammation)
You can add Turmeric as well
8 cups liquid, either broth or water
Salt and pepper
8 oz Egg Noodles or Pasta of Choice – I used broken spaghetti
1 teaspoon Thyme, dried
1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
Fresh Parsley for garnish
- Begin to heat a stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Salt and pepper chicken on both sides and add to the heated Stoc pot. Sear each side until golden brown. This should take about 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside. Don’t worry if the chicken is not cooked, it will finish cooking later.
- If needed, add oil and sauté all the vegetables.
- After 5 minutes, add garlic and cook for another minute
- Add the 8 cups of liquid to the stockpot, chicken, and spices. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Based on how long the noodles take to cook, the noodles can be added at the appropriate time so that the chicken and noodles are finished cooking at the same time.
- At the end of the cooking time, take out the chicken and shred the chicken. Place the shredded chicken back in the pot.
- Garnish with Fresh parsley and lemon wedge