If You Have Eggplant Make This EASY Side Dish. EASY Stuffed Eggplant Rollatini is one of my favorite Eggplant dishes to make. I love it as a side dish as well as the main dish. It also makes for the PERFECT appetizer. Eggplant Rollatini is so creamy with the combination of the ricotta and mozzarella cheese and the lemon gives the eggplant a fresh spring taste. You will love how easy and delicious this is!
EASY Stuffed Eggplant Rollatini
Serves 4 – 6
2 Large Eggplants
1 ½ cups marinara tomato sauce
15 oz container of Ricotta Cheese
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese. Grated, plus additional for topping
¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 Lemon (zest and juice)
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
½ tsp Salt
Italian Parsley, fresh rough chop for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Slice eggplant into 1/2-inch vertical slices and place on an oiled baking sheet. Once all the sliced eggplants are on the baking sheet, drizzle or brush a little more olive oil on each top piece of eggplant and sprinkle salt. Bake for 20 minutes or until eggplant is pliable. Once cooked, remove the eggplant from the oven and leave it to cool for a few minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add Ricotta, Mozzarella, parmesan, Egg, Lemon zest and juice, Italian seasoning, and salt. Mix until all evenly incorporated.
- In a baking dish, line the bottom with about one cup of tomato sauce.
- Place an eggplant slice on your workbench and using a spoon, scoop out the cheese mixture and place it on the eggplant slice. Spread it evenly to cover most of the eggplant. Leave about 2-inches on the closing end of the eggplant.
- Roll the eggplant slice toward the closure part that has no filling. The filling will begin to spill on the sides and push toward the end of the eggplant.
- Place the eggplant, seam side down, in your baking dish. Continue doing this until all the eggplants are filled.
- Top each eggplant roll with tomato sauce. If the tomato sauce is not seasoned, sprinkle salt and pepper on top to give the sauce some seasoning.
- Top each roll with additional mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 20 min or until the sides are bubbling.
- Option, you can remove the foil and place the dish back in the oven under the broiler until the mozzarella cheese is golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh parsley
- Serve as the main entrée, with a side salad or meat or vegetable of your choice