The famous Neapolitan tomato sauce—packed with olives, garlic, capers, and anchovies—is traditionally paired with long pasta. In our version, chicken legs are gently oven-braised in the puttanesca until it’s nearly falling off the bone. It’s a low-maintenance, one-skillet dish that is easy to pull off on a weeknight.
A one-pot, quick, and easy Puttanesca dish that is perfect for a hearty family dinner. This puttanesca is low carb as chickpeas are used in place of pasta. It is a filling Chickpea Puttanesca dish that is loaded with protein and fiber. This dish makes for perfect leftovers. Chickpea Puttanesca also makes for the perfect side dish to chicken breast.
Serves 4 – 6
Olive Oil, as needed
4 chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper (or chicken of choice)
1 Onion, sliced
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
4 – 5 Anchovy Fillets
1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
1-28-Oz Can Tomatoes, Diced
1-16 oz Jar of Marinated Artichoke Hearts, drained
½ Cup Kalamata Olives
½ Cup Sun Dried Tomatoes
4 Tablespoons Capers
¼ cup Fresh Parsley, Chopped
1 teaspoon Thyme, fresh
1 teaspoon Oregano, fresh
½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
Salt And Pepper to Taste
1 Lemon, plus extra lemons for garnish
- In a sauté pan, add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add chicken breasts. Continue to cook until each side is golden brown. Don’t worry if the chicken is not cooked through. Once golden brown, remove from the sauté pan and set aside.
- Add a little more olive oil to the sauté pan. Add Onions, Garlic, and Salt. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add Tomato Paste and Anchovies and evenly incorporate with onions.
- Add the can of diced Tomatoes, Kalamata Olive, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Artichokes, Capers, and Red Pepper Flakes.
- Return the Chicken Breast to the Tomato sauce. Cover and continue to cook until the Chicken is thoroughly cooked about 20 minutes. This can also be placed in the oven to finish cooking.
- When ready to serve, add fresh herbs, and lemon juice. season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place Orzo on a plate and add Chicken Puttanesca on top. Add a lemon wedge on the side.
Directions for Orzo
2 ½ cups orzo
1 quart of broth
1 cup water
2 tablespoon salt or desired amount
- Add all ingredients to the rice cooker and follow the manufacturer’s directions.