Best Italian Soup
There’s nothing better on a cold night than a hearty bowl of homemade soup. The classic combination of Sausage, Creamy White Cannellini Beans, and Escarole has never been so satisfying. This EASY Italian soup, typically known as Minestra alla Napoletana, is a quick, one-pot comforting soup that will become a family favorite. The sweetness from the Escarole, creaminess from the White Beans, and spiciness from the Sausage, this has all the classic Italian flavors for a warm and comforting meal.
Escarole, Sausage & White Bean Soup | Minestra alla Napoletana
Serves 4 – 6
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (Only if you are using lean meat like Turkey or Chicken)
1 lb Italian Sausage (sweet or hot)
½ Onion, diced
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 – 4 Roma Tomatoes, diced or 1 – 15 oz can Tomatoes, diced
1 15 oz can White Beans (Cannellini), drained and rinsed
1 head Escarole, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
3-4 cups Chicken Broth, depending on the desired thickness of the soup
½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
½ stick Butter
½ cup Parmigiano Cheese, grated
2 Tablespoons Parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place olive oil (only if using a lean meat) in a stockpot and heat. Once the oil is hot, sauté Sausage until brown, about 7 – 10 minutes.
- Add Onions and Garlic and cook until garlic is almost golden in color, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add Tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.
- Add Beans and cook for 1 minute.
- Add Escarole and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add Stock and Red Pepper Flakes and bring to a gentle boil.
- Turn off heat and finish the soup by adding in Butter, Cheese, and Parsley.
- Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Ladle soup in a bowl, sprinkle with additional Parsley, Cheese and drizzle a good quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top.